Who is allowed to submit photos?
Anyone who has a blog with original photography and content.
Do I have to register to use your site?
You must register if you will be submitting photos. If you are simply viewing, then no.
What are your rules for submission?
- You must register to submit photos.
- Photos must lead to a post which includes that particular image with a recipe, product review, or instructions of some kind.
- Photos must be the work of the submitter, or permission must be granted, along with proper attribution. Any violation of this will result in immediate removal of the content.
- Any post with copyright violations will immediately be removed. (If your photo was mistakenly posted, let us know right away.)
- Photos must be 250×250 pixels, high resolution, and in jpeg format. File size is limited to 500kb.
- Photos must be high quality and visually appealing:
- good lighting – not overexposed or underexposed
- good composition – think about the rule of thirds, balance, symmetry, and depth of field
- focus – the overall image should not be fuzzy. If we can’t tell what it is, nobody else will be able to either
- white balance – the image should not have an odd hue to it (like red, yellow, blue, purple, green, etc.)
- Photos should not contain text or logos on them (e.g. no words, watermarks, borders, etc.) Use the description area to enter a caption.
- A title and/or description of what’s in the photo is necessary. Please include it in the description box.
- For blog posts which are non-english, the language used should be indicated in the description (e.g. French, German, etc.)
- Anything pornographic, violent, hateful, or racist will not be approved. No spam. Period. Regular offenders will be banned permanently.
- We reserve the right to remove photos at any time.
- All submissions are reviewed and subject to our approval.
How do I crop my image to 250×250 pixels?
It depends on the editing software you’re working in. Photoshop, Lightroom, iphoto, Aperture, etc., all have different methods. If you are unable to figure out how to crop within your current software, you can also use PicResize, Snipshot, Picmonkey, or CutMyPic which are free online services, that allow you to specify dimensions and crop to your needs.
Do I have to submit a 250×250 pixel image?
Yes. Having said that, you can take a gamble by submitting a larger photo and keep your fingers crossed that the auto-cropping tool doesn’t butcher it, and risk the image being rejected. But we highly recommend you crop on your end before submitting so that you have complete control of the composition.
How long does it take for submissions to appear on the site?
It could take anywhere from a few hours to 24 hours for submissions to be published and appear on the home page. It depends how many came in on any given day and if they were submitted with proper categorization, tags, and a valid link. We also like to schedule our postings in batches, so your photos will remain on the home page for a while. All entries are reviewed in the order they are received.
Will I be notified if my photo is accepted or declined?
Yes, you will receive an email with a link to your published submission, or a reason why the photo was not accepted.
If you decline one of my submissions, will you select other pictures from that same post?
No. We only review what has been submitted. If it is declined, you are welcome to submit another image from that post and let the moderation process happen again.
Do I have to choose my category and tag my submissions?
Yes. If you don’t categorize and tag your submissions, then the editors have to do it, which makes the approval process take that much longer. Also, tagging your submissions with relevant keywords will allow your submissions to be found in search results more often.
I’d like to submit blog post photos from my archives. Is there a timeframe for submissions?
There is no timeframe. As long as the submission meets the rules for submission, original date of post does not matter.
Is there a limit to the number of posts I can submit each day?
Currently, no. But we’re not a fan of having one user dominate the front page, so if all submissions are accepted, they probably won’t publish at the same time.
Why do you have commenting turned off?
Because we would prefer that you go to the source and comment there – show the recipe creator some love and let them know how delicious their cookie looks! Food bloggers work tirelessly at creating, cooking, and photographing. Tell them CookieHound sent you!
How can I view my favorites?
While logged in, hover over the “Popular” tab in the navigation bar and then click on “Favorites”
How can I view my own gallery?
You can find a collection of all individual user-submitted accepted submissions at www.cookiehound.com/author/username
I keep getting an error message when I preview or submit? What gives?
You probably need to clear your browser’s cache and clear all CookieHound browser cookies. Then try it again. If that still doesn’t work, try a different browser.
Is there a CookieHound badge I can place on my blog to share my gallery?
Yes. Get a badge here.
Can I get an RSS feed for a specific category?
Yes. Simply add /feed/ to the end of the url for that category page. For example.. http://cookiehound.com/category/crunchy/feed/
How do I change my password or email address?
Click the “submit” button to login. Once logged in, type this URL into your browser: http://www.cookiehound.com/your-user-name/edit/ (changing “your-user-name” to your personal username.) You can change your password or email address from there.